Buying a new home can be really exciting, although sometimes it is difficult to know where to start. It’s a good idea to have a clear idea of what’s involved purchasing a property before you start looking for your ideal home.
Whether you are a first time buyer, or looking to downsize, these are generally the steps you should take:
- Appoint Cullen Kilshaw, so we can put in notes of interest on the properties that catch your eye.
- Make an appointment with an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) who can advise you on the right mortgage for you, and what you should budget for.
- Whether it’s a fixed, variable or tracker rate, choose which mortgage you would like and secure an agreement in principle, so that you can house hunt with confidence.
- Start your search by browsing which homes are available in your chosen area and arrange viewings.
- If you have found somewhere you like, check the Home Report to assess the condition of the property.
- Once you’ve found the house you would like to buy, ask Cullen Kilshaw to put in a note of interest. You may be able to put in a formal offer right away, or it will go to closing date, where the highest bid is generally chosen by the seller.
- Once your offer has been accepted, you should now contact your mortgage adviser for your mortgage to be approved.
- Your solicitor will complete the details with the seller. This agreement is called the ‘missives’, and will include date of entry and what’s included in the sale.
Once this has been finalised, you are ready to pick up your keys and celebrate moving into your home.